Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

An Aging Body

Before I begin, I realize that at the ripe old age of 26, this post may sound a bit whiny. Many of the medical problems people "with age" feel have not even crossed my mind yet, though ten years away is a lot closer than it used to be.

About two weeks ago, I wasn't sleeping well. The first couple of nights I blamed it on anxiety over school and life, but then the third, fourth and fifth day passed. I went to bed and couldn't sleep. I wasn't anxious, I didn't have any more stress than usual, Robin and I were doing great, so what the hell? My body was speaking to me.

I bitched about it but I didn't become a broken wheel. Yes I was tired, yes I had tons of school work to finish and yes, I didn't carry over restful slumber from the night before. There are plenty of people who have far more on their plate than I, but they manage. Then last week, intense, restless dreams settled in. My body was speaking to me.

I would fall asleep only to have vivid, long-lasting dreams take control. They weren't nightmares in that I wasn't in a state of panic, but the dreams themselves were laden with stressful situations; a paper I didn't turn in led to a bad grade in the class, an appointment I was late for, a pile of work sitting next to me that kept growing. I would awake feeling absolutely exhausted. I felt like I hadn't slept at all, or at least, very little. My body was yelling at me.

Exercise. Basic, cardiovascular, muscular, overall exercise was what I needed. The stresses of my life are not going to go away anytime soon and up till now, I've coped fine with them. It was unnerving and confusing to have my body trying to tell me something I didn't want to hear. I've felt it growing for a long time - a once energetic and explosive body settling into a stagnant and corpulent state. I don't think I'm fat comparatively speaking, but I am for me. It's beyond vanity: my body needs me to work it out. I stopped making excuses and did Tae Bo yesterday. I pushed myself through it and worked hard just to keep up with an exercise that a year ago, I had no trouble completing.

I got fantastic sleep last night. The best sleep I've had in months. My body, in its own way, gave me a sincere thank you.

2 Comments:

  • I have this problem myself. I know I need to work out and I feel the effects of not doing so all the freaking time (I'm always fatigued), but I just work so much that finding even 10 extra minutes is impossible.
    I've got to find a way...

    By Blogger Copy Editor, At 4:28 PM  

  • Thank you, Billy Blanks.

    By Blogger Mr. Burns, At 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home