Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Monday, January 29, 2007

What's A Barbaro?

With little to do after some filing, I sat down to peruse the various news websites and see what's happening in my world today...

DEAD HORSE!!!! THE HORSE IS DEAD!!!! BARBARO, WINNER OF SOME VERY PRESTIGIOUS HORSE RACE WAS EUTHANIZED!!! THIS HORSE WAS SO TOTALLY EXPENSIVE AND NOW IT'S DEAD!!!

Scrolling marquis with voter opinion polls about Barbaro rushed across the screen: "93% of people polled think it was the best decision", "41% of people polled think horse racing is an outdated sport", "100% of people who took this poll must be seriously bored or something"

Don't get me wrong; I'm not surprised that people find an expensive dead horse more important than Ari Fleischer's testimony in the Scooter Libby case. I'm also not surprised the news companies will receive tons more hits for this story over three murders in an Iraqi village. Expensive horses don't die everyday. At least, not ones who won some Derby crown that made the gambling types tons of money. People paid tons of money for this horse, it won them tons of money and we should, like, totally care because it's way important because LOOK AT ALL THE MONEY!!!!!

In retrospect, I got what I asked for. That's what's important to "us" today. "We" want dead horse coverage. But I want more than that - I want a camera refreshing itself every 30 seconds positioned on Barbaro's rotting corpse. I need to see every fiber of his $2.5 million body being eaten by maggots. If I'm to be so interested as I should be, I want deliverance from the news companies! GIVE ME EVERY GRITTY DETAIL!!! THAT HORSE WAS LIKE SOOOOO EXPENSIVE!!!!

Thank god some more filing came in for me to do...

6 Comments:

  • I didn't read any stories about the money... but I did think it was sad that the poor horsie died.

    Of course the Libby trial is more important to me.

    By Blogger Copy Editor, At 11:48 AM  

  • And yet, there are horses euthanized everyday that we never hear about. Oh that's right, Barbaro won the Kentucky Derby. He was a tribute to his kind. He achieved his dreams, reached for the top, aspired to be the best.

    Though it is sad that animals have to die and my heart goes out to those who knew and loved their lovely Barbaro, why are we supposed to care? A great hero has passed? It's some travesty of the sporting world? Well of course. People used that horse to make themselves tons and tons of money. WE HAVE TO CARE.

    By Blogger Infused Confusion, At 12:30 PM  

  • Who the hell cares about Barbaro? Donerail... now that was a famous horse

    By Blogger Mr. Burns, At 8:39 AM  

  • Ok, ok. It's not like I CARE, it's just it was on the top of the CNN site so I read it. I thought it was a little sad.

    By Blogger Copy Editor, At 11:41 AM  

  • Evan - Oh em gee you did NOT just say that.

    By Blogger Infused Confusion, At 11:04 AM  

  • That's right, P. I went there. HOLLA! (You can't see it by I just gave myself a high-five)

    By Blogger Mr. Burns, At 5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home