Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I Should Be Blogging

But instead I'm thinking about unicorns. Constantly buried by waves of schoolwork, I haven't had much time to think for myself a lot lately. Even when I'm not doing schoolwork, my brain is processing arguments for the next paper, reciting French phrases having to do with my favorite past times, or fretting over my thesis.

It's interesting stuff writing a thesis. I've discovered that you can go into it with the best intentions, read lots of material and when you begin to edit, come to the realization that you are making as much sense as a paisley shirt. Seriously, I hate paisley. Which sometimes means I hate myself. (slapping head) STUPID! STUPID!

I'm an expert at pretending things are not as they are. Occasionally, I'm hit upside the head with a dose of reality and I begin to think I'll never complete anything; that my thoughts are worthless and trite. Don't pity me, I signed up for this BS. All I'm saying is that I need some ice cream and whiskey. Not in that particular order, nor together, but it's just, I seriously need them.

Oh, here's something fun that happened yesterday. Okay, maybe for you it's not fun, but it is for me so shut up. Mom called and said she ran into Laura (Robin's mom) at Costco. They were chatting as they usually do about things when Laura mentioned Robin and I looking at upcoming townhomes in Eugene. They are, in a word, spectacular. Built on the model of "urban living area", there will be little shops and eateries near them. Très us, for sure. Anyway, mom got a lot of excitement in her voice when she asked if we would be moving into one. I told her that though we salivate at the thought, it will be some time before we could afford one (or furnish it for that matter - the smallest one is 2100 square feet and is, coincidentally, our favorite).

She said, "Gosh, I could just see you and Robin in a place like that. You know, like a condo or something? And hey, you wouldn't be renting anymore!"

This is exciting for me because it means that mom thinks of Robin and I as a couple. She thinks of us living together and sharing our lives together. Trust me, this is a big deal. Four years ago, mom had difficulty stomaching the thought that I was gay and here she is giddy about some new place we don't even have. I got a little emotional (dare I say "teary") and tried to quelch my sobs as the conversation went on. It feels incredible to be loved and validated. It made me feel special and so very, very fortunate. Mommy is great and for those of you who have met her, you know. For those of you that haven't, come to my graduation reception this June at their house and you'll meet her!

That's it for now. Time to space off and think about motorcycles...

2 Comments:

  • Awww, Patrick, that's really great (about your mom, not the thesis, although that's cool too). I know how you feel although I'm not doing a thesis. Every time someone asks me how I'm doing I'm just like "grad school. That's how I am."

    And holy crap, the senate's gone to the dems!! The AP was predicting it earlier and no one else was but Keith Olberman just said it as breaking news and said the republican said he probably won't ask for a recount. Holy crap.

    By Blogger Copy Editor, At 9:51 PM  

  • Do you know the date of your graduation yet? I just want to make sure I have a good excuse for missing it. Muah ha ha. Just kidding babe, you know I'll be there, maybe with clothes on.

    Word verification: muffirh, which obviously means, read my new post and look for similarly spelled words.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home