Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Excuse Me, Sir? You Have A Foot In Your Mouth

I have changed the names of my co-workers in the following story because the FBI reads my blog and they would tattle on me.
.
Today is slow at work. I was looking around our waiting room and saw a pictorial organization chart of our office personnel. I am not pictured, for my position changes about every 1-2 years. That's fine with me, I'd be way at the bottom anyway. It was apparent from the clothes and hairstyles that some of the pictures were taken years ago, probably in the mid-90s or earlier. That's not too strange - most of the people who work here have been employed much longer than that. Suffice to say, I found myself basking in retro-pleasure. I turned to Sharon, our front office gal and said, "Wow Sharon, these pictures are pretty old, huh?" (her picture is far more current). She replied, "Yeah, did you see Mary's?" I returned her query with a smirk and walked off to complete some filing for Kristen.

After the filing for Kristen, I went back to her office which she shares with Mary. "All done, Kristen", I said with a crooked smile. "What's the smile for?" Kristen rightly observes. I chortled, "I saw your picture in the main office. Very chic". She affectionately told me to buzz off whereupon I turned to Mary. Thinking she overheard my conversation with Kristen, I give her the same crooked smile. I asked, "What about you Mary?" She looked puzzled and asked, "What about what?" I snickered, "What about your lovely fuscia and olive green ensemble? The 80s called; they want their shoulder pads back."

"I just took that picture last year", she said with a sullen half-smile.

I will conclude with the fact that all my co-workers have a great sense of humor and we've joked on many occasions. I apologized to Mary and she took no observable offense. However, this does not vindicate me from being a complete asshole, but it's what will help me sleep tonight.

1 Comments:

  • Someone's a little catty...

    Of course, I'd be right there laughing with you. Hopefully you won't ever see a picture of me in the late '80s/early '90s.

    I have a good friend who had a perm in 1992 or so that was sooo bad that her husband of 8 years has never been allowed to see a picture of it.

    By Blogger Copy Editor, At 1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home