Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Friday, September 22, 2006

People Are Weird

(phone rings at my new job)

"(name of office) this is Patrick, how may I help you?"

(flustered sorority mom) "My daughter needs to sign up for recruitment, but your website won't let me pay. What's the deal?"

"Has she registered for classes already?"

"Of course she has."

"Okay, well the way recruitment works is that once they've registered online, they must come into the office and pay either by check or cash, so just send her-"

"WHY?"

(trying to placate) "I know, it sounds a little funny but it actually does make sense. A lot of recruit's parents pay for them but don't inform their child. Then, the kid comes down and pays the fee, which means we were paid twice."

"That's stupid".

(a little frustrated, but not letting her know it) "Sorry about that, but it does state this online. She's on campus now, right?"

"Yes."

"Great. Just send her over with $30 and we'll get her going."

"I'm going to do it online."

(confused) "Well, like I said, she's locked out of paying online but we can help her right here."

"What if she dumps her classes and re-registers and I sign her up inbetween that process?"

(seriously confused) "I would strongly advise against that. There are still hundreds, possibly thousands of students trying to get into classes. She'll most likely lose out of taking core classes that she needs for her degree."

"That's what I'm doing."

"Ma'am, please-"

*click*

1 Comments:

  • God, I've worked in a lot of offices on campus and I totally don't understand all the parents who follow their kids around doing everything for them, even if it's stuff like that. My parents would have been like "find out for yourself how we pay and then we'll do it," or more likely, "Pay it yourself." They never would have dreamed of doing a single one of my college registrations/payments/etc. for me. Even if I'd asked, they would have told me to grow up and do it myself.

    By Blogger Copy Editor, At 3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home