Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Monday, August 14, 2006

What Makes You Wrong?

Of late, I have encountered a few bumper stickers that made me chuckle, made me think, and made me irritated. One that I found particularly hilarious was:

"My Gamer Fragged Your Honor Student"

Hell yeah they did.

However, another more irritating sticker read:

"Heterosexuals. How Can 95% of the Population Be Wrong?"

This was right next to the usual "One Man, One Woman" garbage and "I'm A Biggoted Child-Raping, Cum-Guzzling Hypocrite Who Takes It Up The Ass Every Wednesday At 1:17p.m."

Okay, so I made that "One Man, One Woman" one up.

To address the heterosexual one, I don't get it. I've seen similar stickers regarding land use, political parties and the like. I don't know where this proud child-raper is getting his/er statistic, I think the percentage is closer to 6% or 7% But that's not the point, now is it?

I don't think heterosexual people are wrong, so I don't get it. Does this mean that they are all in accordance regarding the treatment of homosexuals? Does it mean they all think homosexuality is some kind of abomination? Does it mean that there are 93-94% of the population who are child-rapers?

The point isn't that people are wrong, it's that there is perhaps more than one way to love a hole. Because that's what it boils down to, doesn't it? They're somehow so afraid of being wrong, then they proclaim they are not, when no one is accusing them of it. How can it be wrong to be you? If it weren't for heterosexual activity, there would be no humanity to bitch about. Think of how boring that would be.

I would also like to point out that this kind of reasoning is a textbook logical fallacy and falls under the category of "Appeal to Authority". 93-94% of people have nothing to do with one's biggotry, and to assume they would agree with you simply because they like a different hole is absurd at best. I want to poll the entire gay population of the United States and ask them whether or not they think heterosexuality is wrong. You know what? I don't even have to. I'm going to fight fire with fire and say that they don't give a shit.

Thinking back on history, I can remember when 90% of the population was probably wrong. I could be way out of line here, but I think Nazi Germany was wrong. I think Imperialist England was wrong. I think the torture and massacre of Native Americans was wrong. So, yeah buddy. I guess you can be and are wrong. Merry Xmas.

7 Comments:

  • technically speaking the 1 in 10 statistic is more political than scientific. it comes from one line in the kinsey report on male sexuality and was actually surrounded by a bunch of other statistics about male sexuality. I can't remember what the 1 in 10 actually referred to at any rate. most studies actually put the number quite lower than 10%, though of course, one major issue with this may be people failing to report accurately for fear of stigma. additionally, our society is still structured in such a way that there could be a good number of people repressing either homosexual desire, or because of stigma not experimenting with it...

    anyway, 1 in 10 is a problematic number. :)

    also, only about a week(ish) until i'm in oregon!

    By Blogger Ben A. Johnson, At 2:25 PM  

  • Thanks for the update, Smarty McSmartersons. This is precisely why I am friends with you ;)

    By Blogger Infused Confusion, At 4:19 PM  

  • I wonder... if you count only straight women and gay men, what is the percentage of people who just like cock.....? I mean, that's why I'm straight.....

    *ahem*

    Good post, Patrick. :)

    If you haven't read my blog yet (shameless plug ahead), or heard, those 10% can be happy at UO. The Advocate says our school is in the top 20 most gay-friendly colleges in the nation!

    Yay!

    Today's word verification: "iqroaqh" The sound one makes upon finding a cockroach in the kitchen.

    By Blogger Copy Editor, At 10:26 PM  

  • UMass (my school) is also in the top 20, but that's no surprise because this place is a gay-a-palooza. Though, really it's more Lesbiland than Gaysreal.

    Advocate Article

    By Blogger Ben A. Johnson, At 11:26 AM  

  • Lesbiland, huh?

    By Blogger Copy Editor, At 11:56 AM  

  • Oh, and Ben, I've fixed my percentages.

    :-P

    By Blogger Infused Confusion, At 10:19 AM  

  • lol, you didn't have to, patrick. i was just being a smartass. besides it's such a common thing, and even complicated matter, that i don't object to people saying 1 in 10. and of course, i use it politically, so...

    also, jobetta, totally lesbiland. i live in "dykesachusetts" according to tina fey.

    By Blogger Ben A. Johnson, At 6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home