Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Friday, May 26, 2006

My Cup Runneth Over

My paper was met with great conversation and engagement at the conference. The head of my department himself lauded my efforts, calling it "thought provoking" and a "great opener" (I had the "privaledge" of going first). Furthermore, the engagement with other opinions and ideas has led to a revision of my paper, such that I feel it comes across clearer and more developed.

Then, yesterday, I was proposed something that filled me with nervous excitement. One of our graduate students, from whom I have taken a summer course on cultural diversity, asked me to lead a discussion section for her class next year! It will be Women and Gender Studies 101 and though I won't have the burden of grading papers, I will be responsible for attending lectures and leading discussion. I also found out that I get upper-division credits for leading discussion (instead of just getting them for a 100-level class).

This has all led me to a renewed sense of confidence in myself and my work. Though I have much more to discover and engage, I know that my work will prove rewarding. Earlier this year, I was at the "fuck it all" stage and while succeeding in my classes, resigned myself to the fact that I was going to be a failure of a philosopher. As mellow-dramatic as that is, I couldn't pull myself out of the funk. Instead of pretending there isn't funk to deal with, I'm just going to expect funk and be confident despite it. Life is too short to be a mopey whiner.

6 Comments:

  • When are we going to discuss your paper? You should come out to Mass and visit. Leave Mr. Robin "I don't answer my phone" Spoerl in Oregon. Also, if you do revisions, I'd love to read them.

    I TAed 101 of "women, gender, and sexuality" at Trin. It was fun. One nice thing about being an undergrad is that you're not allowed to grade. One bad thing about being a grad is that you're required to grade. ;)

    By Blogger Ben A. Johnson, At 1:08 PM  

  • Yeah, if I were responsible for grading, it would have been out of the question. I'll be busy with my own classes and my Honor's Tesis.

    As for my paper, we may discuss it (in the words of my French brethren) "quand vous-voulez". Though, I warn you, there isn't much to discuss. I'm right and you're not. Even if you agree with me; ESPECIALLY if you agree with me...

    By Blogger Infused Confusion, At 1:45 PM  

  • Congrats That is great!! Everyone should recognize your cleverness and intellegence.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:28 PM  

  • Woo-hoo!!!

    Patrick, that's awesome! How very cool.

    By Blogger Copy Editor, At 1:12 PM  

  • I didn't say you were wrong!

    By Blogger Ben A. Johnson, At 3:54 PM  

  • Oh, I know. I just wanted to make it abundantly clear for the idiots out there that would challenge my juicy brain.

    (Sorry, apparently I'm channelling Bill O'Reilly at the moment. I'll get some oxycontin from Rush Limbaugh to mellow me out...)

    By Blogger Infused Confusion, At 8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home