Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I Got Fired Today

No kidding. I'm totally unemployed. What's more frustrating than losing your job, you ask? Losing it because of reasons unknown to you. Also, not kidding. I have no idea why I was fired. As it was a work-study job, they aren't required to provide me with documentation. They said, "it's just not working out." Huh?

Even more frustrating? The person who was my boss was also my "friend". I say "friend" because I don't quite know how to treat them given the fact that they obviously knew what was coming and didn't give me fair warning. I know the relationship of work and friendship is precarious at best, particularly when they are intertwined, but doesn't it stand to reason that if your "friend" is about to get fired, you'd let them know? Even better, when I was walking out and they saw me leaving, they were all, "oh, are you leaving?" I looked them in the eye and said, "yeah, I got fired. You know I did." They looked at me with this odd puzzled-but-not head tilt. I've never seen one like it. Kind of like they didn't want any drama, so they pretended not to know I was getting fired after knowing I was going to be fired.

I feel very fortunate to have a loving support base. I have a terribly difficult midterm due on Thursday, another on Monday and I really didn't need to lose my job. Robin bought me a present which is an awesome Sushi book complete with DVD, book and sushi mat. I'm stoked. Basically, I'm a sushi chef now. At least, I will be when I read the book and watch the DVD (I wonder if they have bloopers...). After work, Robin picked me up and mom and dad took us out to "burger and a brew" at 6th Street Grill. I had the Rogue Hazel Nut Brown. Hands down, one of the best beers around. Anyway, it's late. I'm tired and cranky. Wish me luck on my midterms.

7 Comments:

  • Aww Patrick...

    At least you got some good stuff out of it... (Sushi = good... at least, the vegetarian "sushi" I eat is good.)

    Maybe this is a sign you should enter the fast-paced world of man-whoring.

    By Blogger Ben A. Johnson, At 7:36 AM  

  • Dude... that sucks. I think that it is bullshit that they don't tell you why they fired you.

    By Blogger cmo, At 8:51 AM  

  • I don't understand why they fired you. I think you work it very well.

    By Blogger ShannonRose, At 3:01 PM  

  • That sucks, Patrick. I'm sorry to hear about that. Where were you working?

    By Blogger Copy Editor, At 6:29 PM  

  • Wow- That is just too horrible. They did not deserve you anyway. Sorry -drinks on me when I get to town

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:42 PM  

  • Are you not in Eugene? How are you not seeing them? And when are you going to update, Mr. Bartlett?

    Yes, I know I'm not one to talk. But at least I posted more recently than NOVEMBER.

    By Blogger Copy Editor, At 9:00 AM  

  • That's sooo completely reDICKulous!!!!! I'm sorry babe, are you going to look for a new work study job now? I bet you'll be able to find a much better one!!

    By Blogger Liz, At 7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home