Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Logic Homework

As I am always interested in sharing my work with others, below is an example from this weeks logic homework.

Give proofs of validity for the following argument:

1. A ⊃ B Premise
2. C ⊃ D Premise
3. (B v D) ⊃ E Premise
4. ¬E Premise
The above signifies the argument, I am to prove ¬(A v C)

5. ¬(B v D) 3,4 Modus Tollens (MT)
6. ¬B ⋅ ¬D 5 DeMorgan’s Laws (DM)
7. ¬D 6 Simplification (Si)
8. ¬C 2, 7 MT
9. ¬B 6 Si
10. ¬A 1, 9 MT
11. ¬A ⋅ ¬C 8, 10 Conjunction (Con.)
12. ∴ ¬(A v C) 11 DM


Yay me! I proved it in only 12 steps! You should see the hard ones...

8 Comments:

  • That'd probably make more sense if I knew what all them funny lookin' symbols meant.

    By Blogger Mr. Burns, At 7:39 PM  

  • For some reason, it reminds me of My logic homework:

    MR ducks

    MR no ducks

    SAR CDEDBD wings?

    LIB. MR ducks

    By Blogger Mr. Burns, At 7:41 PM  

  • I guess it's good you solved it in 12 steps, or you wouldn't have wanted to tell us about it.

    Of course, I have no earthly idea what any of those symbols or terms mean. You could be proving once and for all the existence of God, and I'd have absoloutely no idea.

    By Blogger Copy Editor, At 2:00 PM  

  • Look at me, I'm Patrick. I use short hand to solve logic problems. I like to show off my logical abilities. I'm like Mr. Spock over here.


    *wink*

    By Blogger Ben A. Johnson, At 7:50 AM  

  • I think he's proving once and for all that I am the most awesome dude ever.

    By Blogger cmo, At 3:07 PM  

  • Uh huh.

    Keep telling yourself that, Chris.

    ;)

    By Blogger Copy Editor, At 7:52 PM  

  • I'm a little scared. Just a little, but definately scared. Love you!

    By Blogger Sara, At 4:51 PM  

  • Disprove the following argument.

    1. You need to update.

    By Blogger Copy Editor, At 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home