Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Friday, August 18, 2006

Strep Throat Totally Sucks

I've been out for the past few days with strep throat. Today is the first day I can enter the world as a non-contagious specimen since Tuesday. My mom has an uncanny ability to detect what's wrong with me (I call it her sixth sense). I know lots of people *say* their mom can do that, but mine really does it. I called her Tuesday morning and opened my mouth. After a minute of talking with me she said, "sounds like you have strep". Okay, the last time she said that, I was like 16 or something. How can she know that?? I wasn't convinced until Wednesday when I went to the doctor and the test results turned up positive. I called her and told her she should go abroad to work miracles. She only chuckled like I was crazy. You know what? I hear that chuckle a lot...

Suffice to say, I've been cooped up like a dirty, cranky hermit. Robin has been off at work and then gallivanting with friends in the evenings. I don't blame him. If he were home with an infectious disease, I wouldn't be there either (and the Passive-Aggressive Statement of the Year Award goes to...).

Strep is such a downer. First of all, you're not going to be better in several days. It's only because of the heavy antibiotics that I'm considered "clean" again. Second, you get so worn down. For instance, all I wanted to do was sleep and watch TV. Normally when I'm sick, I want to sleep and play video games and watch TV. I only played a little bit of video games this time, and I had to interrupt my awesome session of KOTOR II to take a freakin' nap!

My little sister was there for me. I called her on Wednesday with a desperate plea for chicken noodle soup and Gatorade. Shut up, I know that's what you take when you have the flu, but I probably had a little bit of that too. She was so sweet and came over but didn't stay long as not to become infected with my death spores.

It's good to be back in the world again. We're going to the fair tonight with Clint and Missy. Perhaps others will join us, perhaps not. I intend on living life to its fullest as I can never get back these past three days. That is, until I go to heaven and beat them out of God.

2 Comments:

  • Of course, the worst part about strep invovles the inability to perform certain activities that a certain type of men are known to engage in...

    anyway, i hope you feel better soon. i had strep a couple times when i was a kid. then a couple summers ago i got some tonsilitis that lasted for a year (ending when they removed my tonsils). i haven't had too much throat-related illness since then...

    By Blogger Ben A. Johnson, At 6:13 PM  

  • AWww, I'm sorry you were sick, Patrick, that sucks. I've never had strep, so I can't say I understand, but being sick always sucks.

    I would have brought you soup!

    By Blogger Copy Editor, At 4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home