Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Daily Stuff

Robin and I purchased a Pioneer surround sound system yesterday. We got the set at Costco (where you should go if you want electronics) which came with a receiver, DVD player, subwoofer and full surround sound speakers. It's too bad we didn't have this for our LOTR party, because it would have made the experience much more enjoyable. Not that it wasn't anyway.

My writing 122 class is the best writing class I've ever taken. My instructor doesn't see the point in using the textbook (I quote, "Nothing in that expensive textbook is something I can't teach you. There's no need for you to spend $60 on it."). Instead, we're reading the 911 Commission Report, the editorial pages from the NY Times and 1984 (George Orwell). As the class is persuasive writing, our essays are on these topics. Even better than the material is the even-handed way he's teaching the class. There are plenty of conservative and liberal ideas in the classroom that get talked about on any given issue.

The weather today is 63 degrees and it's January 18th. I don't know why because it's never anywhere near 60 in January. I'm wearing a t-shirt and jeans and I'm warm. I think I'll switch to my Chaco's this afternoon.

We saw I Heart Huckabees this weekend. If you know even the slightest bit about existentialism or you're interested or you just want to be entertained, this movie is for you. Lily Tomlin, Dustin Hoffman... do I need to say more? One question I pose to you that the movie brings up which I have been thinking about a lot lately: "When am I not myself?" Try to answer that one.

I hope to go to the beach sometime in the next month, with the crazy possee of course. We'll have fun and eat good food and drink some.

I hope this warm weather is finding you all well. Thanks to those who comment on my blog from time to time. Commenting brings you closer to enlightenment. And Jesus. And my mom's face.

11 Comments:

  • Panasonic?!?!?

    I'll have you know it's a Pioneer system! ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 3:26 PM  

  • I think we should go to the cabin on the 12/13 of February. Comments?

    By Blogger Sara, At 3:32 PM  

  • why not the weekend of the 18th? it's a 3-day weekend...

    By Blogger cmo, At 3:51 PM  

  • There's no holiday on the calendar, near as I can tell, so school is in session. And I have an alterior motive for wanting the 12/13.

    By Blogger Sara, At 4:51 PM  

  • I fixed Panasonic to "Pioneer". Please accept my humblest apologies, darling :)

    By Blogger Infused Confusion, At 9:07 PM  

  • it's the president's day weekend, for some reason i thought school was out that day.

    By Blogger cmo, At 8:16 AM  

  • Hi Patrick, Jo here.

    What is the name of your writing teacher? My brother had to drop that class because his teacher was a moron, and he really needs to retake it from someone with intelligent views on education.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:58 AM  

  • Hey Jo! Daniel Mackay is his name, being a doctoral candidate is his game. Check his shit out, you're sure to yell and shout!

    By Blogger Infused Confusion, At 11:39 AM  

  • Your class sounds interesting, but I'm so glad that I took 122 at community collge where the focus was on writing...you could choose your own topics and didn't have to read stuff that teachers chose for you to base your papers on. I wrote about animal testing mostly. That was during my vegan kick.

    By Blogger Sara, At 12:06 PM  

  • Thanks, Patrick! I'll be sure to pass that along to my brother.

    -Jo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 5:32 PM  

  • "where the focus was on writing" - Ms. Hos

    LOL - was that a backhanded comment? Zing!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home