Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Sunday, September 19, 2004

Zee Celebration!

Dancing, eating, carousing, debauchery. These four words not only describe my weekend, they embody it. I have been near comatose for three days now, all thanks to the fabulous party we call the Eugene Celebration. I saw some band on Friday that made me dance my ass off. Then on Saturday, I saw yet another band (the Crazy Eight's) which also made me dance my ass off. Then on Sunday, I went to a barbecue and drank even more. It's all a blur-the colors, the lights, the FANTASTIC PEOPLE. You know, the celebration! It is imperative to understand that Eugene's celebration is like none other I could ever imagine. True, I am not as well-traveled as some of my constituents, but there's NO WAY any "normal" town's celebration could match the true insanity that is MY town's celebration. I live in a place that is not only rich in natural and cultural diversity, but when all the aspects of the town come together and rub elbows... well, that makes for some interesting times. On Saturday, there's the parade (at nine in the morning, after staying out and "having fun" until 2 or so) which is riddled with political satire, mostly hinging on Bush being an incompetent asshole. It was truly funny, with floats that symbolized tropical escapes to floats that were no more than a Datsun with hay glued to it. My favorite parts were PFLAG (we have a large and FUN representation in Eugene), the little kids and their schools (OH MY GOD THE CUTEST YOU HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!) and the "synchronized recliner" team. Those that can kiss my ass include: 1) The radio station "floats" (e.g. The KDUK van with shitty pop music spewing from it's back end). 2) The Evangelical Church's float (SCREAMING preacher with a real person depicting a blood-spattered, destitue Christ figure nailed to the cross). Not so surprisingly, the Republicans of the area didn't have one single entry. NOTHING. So basically (as Sara kindly reminds us), they'll talk loads of shit from their houses, but when it comes to REPRESENTIN', they DON'T SHOW THE FUCK UP!!! HA!!!!! Why not? Because the CRAZY LIBERALS WILL KILL THEM ON SIGHT, THAT'S WHAT! WE'RE JUST A-WAITIN' FOR THEM CONSERVATIVES TO SHOW THEIR FACES SO'S WE'S CAN GIT SCRAPPY!!! Our apartment was Headquarters for the weekend, which made for even more fun (and messes!) and Luna (the kitty) getting all the attention any cat should legally have. Robin and I are tired and weary, but happy that things turned out FUN for everyone. Our friends rock and they know that, but every weekend we spend together only strengthens this fact. Some day, we'll rock so hard that we'll all turn into sparkling diamonds. Or something... Anyway, ta for now. Come to the Eugene Celebration if you're ever in town. It is THE social event of the season! New York, Beverly Hills, eat your hearts out.

1 Comments:

  • Hey Baby- Nice take on the whole shebang. I went to see Anchorman last night, which had a similar excellent rip on George Duh-buh; At the end, when a typical comedy lists what becomes of the characters, the guy with the IQ of 48 is said to go on to have a successful career as a top advisor to the Bush Whitehouse. Ba-bam! Let's hear if for Will, Ben, Vince, and the rest of the boys.

    By Blogger Sara, At 1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home