Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Church

During cribbage night on Monday, friends and I got into a conversaion on the function of churches. It is my opinion that churches are a good thing for meeting new people and having something to do on [insert day of week] if you're [insert religious preference]. I attended church for much of my formative years, until about 15 I think. As stated in my previous blog, I developed a severe distaste for the doctrine of Christianity and discontinued my attenance. That's not to say I didn't retain friendships that were formed in the church. However, I have an ethical dillemma when thinking about churches (most, not all).
If people are to gather and congregate and celebrate each other's beliefs, why must they do so in a religious setting? It is naieve to say the only function of church is to form a community; it is to form a religions community. Churches teach their attendees of the doctrine, and if you're a major religion, then spread these beliefs like an infection. My main problem with all this is being part of a church, or most religion, does not encourage intellectual individuality. Being part of something means you accept and live by it's "laws" or guidelines. When these guidelines contradict what you believe to be true, you are instantly given contrary reasons (as defined by religion) why you must change your truth in order that it parallels the religion. Of course, people do not literally become unthinking robots, but on some level they do. Surrounding yourself with others that believe the same things that you do doesn't encourage development. In fact, it usually means you are rarely challenged, and if you are, there are plenty of people around you to remind you of "the doctrine".
If you accept anything as absolute truth, without questioning what it is and why it's there and what you should do about it and on and on, your mind will remain stagnant and unquestioning. This method of thought is not necessarily rewarding (which, I am convinced, many people's only concern is "getting something in return"). It should and will be difficult and at times very confusing. I see my consciousness as a gift and anything that could take away from my ability to question "what is", does not deserve my attention.
If your goal is to live in a community and be connected with those around you, then do so. Churches are an easy way to meet and greet, but the cost to your belief system is far worse than the benefit of meeting a few people. Meeting to celebrate beliefs that you accept to be true because they're "part of the package" does not lead to better ethics and viewpoints. It leads to laziness.

5 Comments:

  • Hi Pattie- I haven't posted a comment because you've said it better than I could. I hate it when people try to explain things that are beyond them with no admittance of not knowing for real what is out there, spiritually.

    By Blogger Sara, At 4:58 PM  

  • sara & patrick- when there is a lack of scientific evidence, the reason that religious people try to explain what is out there spiritually is simple- faith.

    By Blogger cmo, At 12:12 PM  

  • That is true, Chris. I think that some people need to have the unexplainable explained for their own piece of mind. The problem I have, and Patrick too, is when you cannot accept that there might be multiple ways of explaining things, and that no way is probably correct, ultimately.

    By Blogger Sara, At 2:22 PM  

  • Since there is a lack of scientific evidence, instead of accepting our purpose as unanswerable, people make up answers and say they have faith that these answers are correct. I don't see the point in this. You don't need faith to tell you how to be an ethical and caring person. You don't need to know that if you do good things you'll go to a "good" place when you die. You need to accept what is true here and now. Why is it so bad that we don't know?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 5:49 PM  

  • The above comments were made by Patrick. Sorry about that.

    By Blogger Infused Confusion, At 1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home