Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Super Duper Customer Service

Every morning before I work out, I grab a clean towel at the check-out desk in the SRC. The desk is always staffed by a student worker, one who is usually doing something other than just sitting there. As the job requires the student to swipe your ID card, hand you the requested item and check a box on the computer screen, I understand why their bosses allow them to read, work on homework or talk amongst themselves. I'm not expecting some enthusiastic response to my presence; it's early and I'm not trying to make friends. I do, however, expect them to acknowledge my presence, especially because their only job is to swipe and click, swipe and click.

I approached the desk this morning and saw the epitome of bad customer service waiting to happen. She was reading US Weekly, talking on her mobile, working on homework and certainly not looking up at those who required her services. More than her actions, her facial expression fell somewhere in the realm of, "what the fuck do I care", so I wasn't expecting much. In fact, I was expecting to get a pair of goggles plopped in my hand and when I informed her that I actually asked for a towel, she reaches into her pocket and hands me a dime. That's the level of competence I was about to deal with.

The girl in front of me waited about five seconds for the employee to acknowledge her. Visibly perturbed, she said, "Hello? I need a towel please". Okay, she said "hello" kinda bitchy but at least she followed it with a please. I'm not kidding you, the employee looked up, said "Hang on, some girl needs a towel" into her phone and completed the request without looking at the girl. At least she got the towel she wanted. Who knows if the employee clicked the right box in the computer, probably not, but at least the girl could shower.

I figured that since I was standing a bit to the side of the girl in front of me, the employee would continue looking up, knowing that I was next in line. Yeah, no such luck. I walked up to the desk and she was back on the phone. In probably the whiniest voice I've ever heard, she yelled, "Whaaaaaat? Noooooo! Todaaaaaaay! We have to go todaaaaaay!" I naively expected her to see me standing right in front of her face, but after a split second of remembering the previous girl, I took the initiative. The words "Look you little bitch, get off the fucking phone" were like, milliseconds from coming out of my mouth. I was still tired and cranky. Thankfully, I gracefully mustered "Towel please", as I held out my ID card.

This is where I'm not quite sure what happened. I sort of, um, fell into a blind rage and, um, kinda yelled at her when she said into the phone, "(SIGH) Hang on, some guy needs a towel". I know the words "pathetic", "excuse", "for an employee" happened to cross my lips. Oh, and I think "manager" and "I want to talk to" came out as well, because before I knew it I was talking to her manager.

All I wanted was to inform the manager that there is no excuse for her to behave like this. I calmly explained that I was sorry I lost it at his employee, but I also explained how I saw her treat the previous girl, how she treated me, and how in times past with this employee, I had similar issues. He took in everything I said, was gracious and apologized for the incident. He explained that while those particular students are allowed to work on homework or read, they shouldn't be on the phone. He asked if there were any other incidents I had at the SRC and to be sure to let the on-duty manager know in the future. I was completely placated. I was sure he heard me, was thankful that I was opening a dialogue with him about his employee, and that effective measures would be taken. That's all I wanted. My ego sated, I skipped away to the locker room.

I had a great work out today. After some sweat-inducing cardio, I was ready for my shower. I shaved, got dressed, and returned to the check-out desk in order to drop off my towel and re-swipe my card (yes, they charge you for cheap, $2 terrycloth towels if you don't return them). The same girl was sitting there. On the phone. This time reading People. I noticed that her homework had been worked on some more. Blood rushed to my face. I thought, "whatever, all I need to do is turn in my towel". I did so, she clicked the box and I looked up to see her manager standing directly behind her, throwing a basketball into the air, catching it and throwing it again. I was stunned. He caught my eye, smiled and continued to throw the ball as his employee, directly in front of him, continued her phone conversation.

My brain jumped in before my mouth could. I received a direct order from the mothership: "Walk away, Patrick. Just walk away." I love when my brain saves me from further embarrassment, because I was about to let fly on that manager. The system works.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home