Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The Instigator

Monday was perhaps one of the most beautiful days on record. It was a warm 78 degrees, complete sunshine and absolutely everything was blooming; flowers, trees, you name it. I couldn't sit around and let this day pass by without going for a walk, hike, run, or shimmy down some kind of path. I also wanted an accomplice, someone who would lend pleasurable company and a merry spirit along our walk. And I knew just the person. Her name begins with a "C" and rhymes with "Chandra". Actually, it's not so much a rhyme as that's her actual name. My bad.

Anyway, Chandra was at work but I knew that she sometimes has a little flexibility in her schedule. Ready to goad her into ditching work to the best of my persuasive abilities, I didn't have to try very hard at all. It just so happened that Chandra had just the flexibility that justified an early exit. She suggested Mt. Pisgah and I was really, really stoked. First of all, Mt. Pisgah is wonderful. Replete with an arboretum, hiking trails and river, it has lots of flora and fauna to take in. And also, Chandra used to work for Mt. Pisgah, so she's like a retired Admiral of Mt. Pisgah. While employed, she won the Purple Heart of Ass-Kickin' Nature Diva so best respect!

We met up with Courtney (who is now in the same position Chandra had) and began our walk. I've been to Pisgah lots of times. In fact, I used to get some good cardio by quickly hiking its steep incline. This time, however, it was really sunny and Chandra knew a better way to enjoy Pisgah. On the south side is the arboretum, a lush mixture of native plants and wildlife. Trails wind all throughout, but of course our retired Admiral knew the best ones. We walked past vibrant irises, cat ears and columbines. We moseyed through fields with enormous oaks and birches. I was continually having my patented "nature moment" in which I barely retain consciousness because I'm so elated to be in such a place. After a while, Courtney had to go back for a superfun dentist appointment, so Chandra and I continued on. We took a turn into a low area where lots of water settled. I can't remember what it was called, I think it was something like "Waterworld" but without Kevin Costner.

We crossed a bridge and heard the distinct "meeps" of little ducklings. Right below us were eight ducklings and their attentive mother. The ducklings were running over the lily pads, bursting with energy. They ate, splashed around and looked to be having the best time. If it were not for my size, age and species orientation, I would have joined them. Instead, Chandra and I watched from the bridge, smiling and laughing at their ridiculous cuteness.

Strolling further, Chandra remembered a large restoration project the Friends of Buford Park were working on. When a river swells due to flooding, it creates channels in which the extra water flows and eventually (when the river subsides) they dry out. Because this area was mainly farmland for a long time, these channels were filled in to allow maximum farming ability. The Friends wanted to re-dig these channels and had the know-how to do so with as little impact on the environment as possible. We walked through a large, vast field which was once the site of many such channels. There were several huge mounds of earth piled to the side, which Chandra explained came out of the new channels. Coming upon the restoration area, I noticed lots of new plants and trees sprouting. Most were planted by the Friends, because they used to be there anyway. We examined the older channels, the newer ones and I quickly realized how incredible this project actually was. These weren't arbitrary holes. Lots of planning, time, volunteer work, energy and commitment went into each channel. Oh, and by the way, I'm not talking about a few pounds of dirt here. I'm talking they dug tons and tons of dirt for the channels. Power to the people!

To all my (2) readers: Please, pretty please enjoy nature. Reorganize whatever you have to in order to take time and breathe deeply. To have consciousness and be able to enjoy such splendor is true luxury. Forget our fancy cars, cell phones and personal baggage. Nature is where we find what's missing from our collective spirit. But enough prophetic rambling. I could go on all day.

The day was capped with King Estate Gewurztraminer and delicious BBQ at Eric and Chandra's. Robin was there and brought his delightful smile and boisterous personality. Eric brought his debonair wit and poised demeanor. And his monocle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home