Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Philosophy Project

In my philosophy class, our grade is comprised of five papers, each 4-5 pages, that examine different ethical topics. I visited my professor, Bonnie Mann, the week before last just to introduce myself and talk about the class. After speaking with her about my areas of interest in philosophy, she asked if I found the papers challenging. I told her no, because they're basically quote and explain, without much room for personal analysis. She then presented me with the option to do one big research paper instead of the five other papers. She gave me the freedom to choose whatever topic I like, as long as it applies to ethics (of course). I emailed her the below idea, which she gladly accepted:

Tell me what you think...

The ethics concerning homosexual weddings is not only of personal
significance to me, but I see areas in the argument that need much
clarification and improvement. In using ideas from care ethics and
rights-based ethics, I plan to construct a paper which illustrates the
benefit of the inclusion of homosexuals into every aspect of the laws
in the United States. Then, I plan to present the religious argument
and provide substantial reasoning as to why it has no place in the
laws of a multi-cultural society. Finally, I plan to address the
notion of tradition and it's importance (while simultaneously
providing evidence that the tradition of marriage is one that is not
harmed by the inclusion of homosexuals). Obviously, there are
sub-arguments within these that I will address, but I'll worry about
those when I present my outline to you.

Again, I really appreciate this opportunity you've presented to me.
This is my first true philosophical argument!


Wish me good writing!!

5 Comments:

  • That sounds very interesting to me. Glad to hear your professor liked it. I like professors who are willing to allow you to do different things and come up with your own ideas. I'd read it. :)

    --Jo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:54 PM  

  • you should do a philosophy project on how i'm awesome and you suck. just a thought...

    By Blogger cmo, At 9:53 AM  

  • Could you also address the diservice done to our culture when the government prescribes one set of morals for all? Jerks.

    By Blogger Sara, At 1:38 PM  

  • good writing!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 7:36 AM  

  • i think that this will prove to be a very interesting and fruitful journey for you. I would love to read it once your finished with it. your prof. sounds awesome. miss and love you. Laura

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home