Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Monday, July 16, 2007

Wine Culture

A couple of weeks ago, Robin and I received an email from Benton-Lane, our favorite and most beloved winery. It was an invitation to wine club members for a special dinner that would debut their newest wine, the First Class 2005 Pinot Noir. We called and reserved immediately. Over the past year, we have had the sincere pleasure of becoming friends with Benton-Lane's owners, Steve and Carol Girard. They are, without a doubt, two of the friendliest and most down to earth business owners I have ever known. Their graciousness is topped only by their love for their craft and might I say, they truly are masters.

After much socializing, appetizers of goose liver paté, salmon and olive tempenade (all on separate crackers, of course) some Pinot Blanc and Pinot Rosé, and a quick tour, it was time for dinner. Our Pinot glasses were full and awaiting our return. Carol and her team had been hard at work preparing an incredible main course: cesar salad, pork tenderloin with a cherry sauce reduction and rosemary Yukon Gold potatoes. The dinner looked great, but my attention was on the wine.

I eagerly swirled the glass, releasing the fragrant aroma. With my eyes closed, I put my nose into the glass and smelled what I can honestly say is one of the best Pinot Noirs I have ever encountered. There was a delicate suppleness to it, a perfect balance of fruit and other notes of vanilla and nutmeg that made my mouth water. I wasn't about to rush the experience, so I just smelled it again and again. When I finally took a sip, the same silkiness flowed onto my palate, and the flavors perfectly complimented each other. Rather than any one flavor assaulting my senses, they all played off each other, one surfacing and then another. As I swirled the wine in my mouth, the flavors only became more distinct, and I realized the true complexity that can come from a well made Pinot Noir.

If you would have asked me three years ago which varietal was my favorite, I wouldn't have been able to tell you with any certainty. Now, however, I am certain that the Pinot grape is unmatched in complexity and beauty. It takes a master wine maker to craft a delicious Pinot Noir or Pinot Gris. To drink such a wine is to understand the time, love and attention one must put into their wine. It is a grape that only grows in tiny corners of the world and even then it is arguably the most difficult to grow.

Last night was a beautiful sight to behold. We all ate and drank, conversations were warm and inviting, and the other members were as excited as we were to get the first tastes of Benton-Lane's crown jewel. Robin and two other friends wanted to go home before I was ready. Luckily, Eric and Chandra wanted to stay as well. As Carol and her staff finished putting things away, Steve joined the three of us and had a bottle of their '05 Estate Pinot Noir in his hand. Carol came over and we all sat and drank wine, talked about the industry, California, Oregon, Pinot, friends and family. It was, undoubtedly, the best time I ever had at a winery. An evening of good friends, food and wine played over and over as we drove away.

This morning, I'm definitely feeling the amount of wine ingested last night. Even so, I remember last night fondly and became very focused on how I felt during those hours. To be here, now, at this place and time, to know the people I do, to love my friends, to celebrate with others and to meet new people reminds me how special life is. Don't wait for heaven, enjoy what is here now. Remember the gift that is friendship. Breathe deeply. Live your joy. Oh, and drink good wine!

7 Comments:

  • Did you happen to sample their finest Night Train? Or perhaps some vintage Carlo Rossi?

    By Blogger cmo, At 8:59 AM  

  • They had an excellent May '07 Rossi but I didn't want to ask for a taste. You know how expensive one of those jugs are!

    By Blogger Infused Confusion, At 9:23 AM  

  • I know. It's up to what, 4 bucks or something? Shit, money doesn't grow on grape vines, right?



    Well, I suppose it does if you own a winery.

    By Blogger cmo, At 9:24 AM  

  • Don't forget about the 1982 Sauternes that we were treated from that Steve made from moldy Semillon.

    For me, one of the treats of the evening.

    By Blogger bilsabab, At 12:59 PM  

  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauternes_%28wine%29

    By Blogger bilsabab, At 1:00 PM  

  • How could I forget?! Insanely good dessert wine. So good, in fact, that I didn't realize I was drinking something reserved for dessert.

    By Blogger Infused Confusion, At 3:37 PM  

  • I must say, the July 2007 Franzia "white" is another excellent choice. notes of blue blast gatorade and a nice, kool-aid finish. Pairs well with Fritos, pork rinds, and twinkies.

    By Blogger Mr. Burns, At 12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home