Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Civil Rights Are For Losers

So, don't know if y'all have heard, but the California Assembly passed a bill that would allow gay marriage in California. YAY MARRIAGE!

As always, there are opponents to this passage, such as the following comments made by the following person:

"I think it's a sad day," Republican Assemblywoman Sharon Runner of Lancaster, California, said of the bill's passage.

"I think the people of California want us to do the business of jobs, the economy, education, illegal immigration, and today we had to spend several hours talking about an issue that the voters decided back five years ago, that marriage should be between a man and a woman ... I think it shows how out of touch the legislature is."

When I first read this, I was like, "oh geez, just another cranky poo head." But when I read this closer, I am actually stunned that a representative in a state body could think this. Yeah, yeah, politicians are usually crazy anyway, but this strikes at the core of their civic responsibility, and I shall explain why because you want to know so badly ;)

"I think it's a sad day"...

*Yes, me too. Why, just yesterday I dropped my ice cream cone on the sidewalk before stubbing my toe on a rock. After that, not even my lollipop tasted good.

"I think the people of California want us to do the business of jobs, the economy, education, illegal immigration..."

*Yes, that would be nice. Those are all very important things. I guess it's no wonder that the issue of gay marriage shouldn't be of importance; after all, equal rights for gay people has nothing, NOTHING to do with jobs, the economy, education or illegal immigration.

"and today we had to spend several hours talking about an issue that the voters decided back five years ago, that marriage should be between a man and a woman..."

*I know how she feels. I had to spend several hours working yesterday, too. I was so pissed that I had to work and get things done. It must be very hard for a legislative body to have to go over issues again and again, to change laws over and over. Why the HELL can't people just make up their minds about stuff?! Just think that if people would stick to their original ideas about civil rights, we'd have slaves. Hello! Obviously, our world is crumbling without slaves. Yep, once the majority get a law passed, that's how life should be. People are so very, very smart after all.

"I think it shows how out of touch the legislature is."

*Yeah, the legislature is pretty out of touch. What, with ruling on the bills presented to them by the people who elected them into office. Pathetic if you ask me. People need to get it together! It's our fault that they're legislating on worthless crap!

Listen up, lady. At least YOUR assembly is concerning itself with the wellbeing of it's supporters and upholding your state constitution. As far as I'm concerned, as far as the oath you took when you were sworn into office is concerned, that's part of your job. Sorry if you don't like it. But hey, I'll print you a label if it makes you feel better.

7 Comments:

  • Yay! You're so good and funny!

    And i love that you love your label maker :D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:17 PM  

  • My dear, I couldn't have said it better myself. People do need to get it together. I mean, Puh-lease! Sorry to hear about your ice cream cone. I had a popsicle yesterday that dripped all over my front.

    By Blogger ShannonRose, At 7:52 AM  

  • Patrick, Will you gay-marry me?




    PS: Don't tell Robin.

    By Blogger Ben A. Johnson, At 8:19 AM  

  • LOL that's great. Sure! Let's get gay-married ;)

    By Blogger Infused Confusion, At 11:12 AM  

  • When I heard... When I heard... what Patrick had to say... I was like...
    FUCK YEAH!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:01 PM  

  • Hey Chandra, get on!

    By Blogger Infused Confusion, At 9:59 PM  

  • Maybe the sollution to this whole thing is to have another name for married if you are gay. I propose "garried," which is short for "gay married," as mentioned by Ben. Oh, but wait, giving people unequitable rights (including different names for their unions) is WRONG, isn't it? Right, that's right, I forgot, separate but equal and all that jazz. It would be against our values as a country to treat people differentially on the basis of race, nationality, sex, class, etc. Hang on a sec, aren't gay people citizens of our country too? I guess they should be able to get regular married like every other citizen, and not have to be "garried." I guess the fact that gay marriage makes some people feel "a little icky" doesn't really warrant removal of ones rights as a citizen.

    What a fucking ephiphany. Too bad more people haven't had it, including Sharon Runner. That lady needs to get over herself and quit projecting her ickiness.

    I'm glad you like your label maker. Mine has saved my life during classroom set-up.

    A place for everything, and everything in its place. A place for everything, and everything in its place. A place for everything, and everything in its place. A place for everything, and everything in its place. A place for everything, and everything in its place.A place for everything, and everything in its place. A place for everything, and everything in its place. A place for everything, and everything in its place. A place for everything, and everything in its place. A place for everything, and everything in its place. A place for everything, and everything in its place. A place for everything, and everything in its place.A place for everything, and everything in its place. A place for everything, and everything in its place.A place for everything, and everything in its place.

    Twitch, twitch.

    By Blogger Sara, At 8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home