Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Monday, May 02, 2005

Camping/Fire Dancing Update

This weekend, Scott, Robin and I went camping southwest of Roseburg on a hill overlooking Looking Glass Valley. My fire dancing instructor, Polly, was celebrating her birthday and did so in grand Oregon style. The camping was incredible, the views were breathtaking, the food was scrumptious, the company was delightful, the hike to the top of the butte was GRUELING (but fun!). There was a volleyball court, frisbee, fire pit, drinking, swing band and great times. If I have the opportunity to go there again, you better believe I'm grabbing anyone who wants to go and we're headin' out (PS There are 200 acres of campable area, so the whole damn crew can go if we want to!). This place is infused with lots of loving history and huge gatherings like this. Polly's family are great people with lots of love to go around. Judging by the people who came, this family associates with great people. I felt privaleged to be invited but it got even better because...

I did my second burn!!! WOO HOO! On Saturday night, Polly had about eight friends (fire dancers) who all got together and performed. Kim (another beginner) and I were going to be in the last "exposition" segment, where all the fire dancers get out there together and we go crazy. Earlier that day, Kim and I were practicing and she taught me how to do the "monarch". Basically, it's an over the head, behind the head, whirl and twirl BIG move which kicks ass. So, I got that one down and had another move to add to my repetoire. I mostly practiced transition moves, because during my first burn, I tangled the chains a lot and bumped myself a couple of times because I didn't know how to go from one move to the next. NOT THIS TIME!! Back to the story... There Kim and I stood, waiting to do our thing, when Polly told us to go out BEFORE the end of the show! She handed me two big poi (my favorite! They're so loud and vicious!!) and off I went. Unlike my first burn, during which I was timid of workin' it out, I WORKED IT OUT!! I was so comfortable - it was me and the fire, the 100 people weren't even there. The music was thumpin, Robin and Scott were cheering, people were clapping, but most of all, I was DANCING WITH FIRE :) Then the finale came a couple of burners later, and there I went again! Twice in one performance! Nothing could have capped a better evening than fire dancing and good friends. Just wait until I'm fire dancing at EVERY camping event!! YEE HAW!!

5 Comments:

  • I can't wait to see this!!! I'm also glad you're not going to catch on fire, which is likely when you're nervous. We don't need you to be, literally, flaming :-)

    By Blogger Sara, At 5:55 PM  

  • You should have Robin get a video of you doing your fire dancing for those of us far away to see.

    By Blogger Ben A. Johnson, At 6:02 PM  

  • I agree, although I am not far away. But I haven't seen this so-called fire spinning yet, despite my proximity :-)

    By Blogger Sara, At 5:25 PM  

  • Done! Sami has a video camera that I'm sure I could use.

    By Blogger Infused Confusion, At 1:09 PM  

  • Okay, I've seen it now. It happens, and it's good!

    By Blogger Sara, At 8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home