Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Infectus Grossus

About last weekend's camping adventure...

I got poison oak. I thought I was immune. No biggie, right? I mean, it's just itchy and gross for a week or so, then it goes away, right??

The oak infection is located on my left calf, completely covering it. It then spread a tad north to the bottom of my thigh. For about a week, it was gross and pussy and all that fun stuff associated with P.O., but then something no so fun happened. The itching went away, but the level of pain did not. In fact, the pain started to become excruciating and in the center of my poison oak, purple marks began to develop. For those of you who haven't taken Rash 101, purple on your skin is a very, VERY bad thing. On mother's day, mom took a look at it, which at that time ALL of the rash had become purple or at least fucsia, and my left ankle had swollen by 1/3 its original size. She ordered me to the doctor right away. Not that I really needed her to tell me this at that point, for the pain in my leg had reached ludicrous levels.

Yesterday, I went to the UO's Student Health Services building. I was really impressed with the number of doctors they have on staff (15) and a pharmacy and an army of nurses all ready to go. As I didn't have an appointment, I had to wait for the on-call doctor to see me. I made an appointment for today anyway, in case I didn't want to wait for the on-call doctor (they tend to be rather busy, you see). Before you can see the on-call doctor, you have to see a nurse who checks you out. When I told her that I thought I might be infected, the nurse implored me to wait. I was waiting for about fifteen minutes when they called me back. The other nurse took my vitals, everything checked out and I patiently waited for Dr. William MacMaster. The nurse told me that not only does Dr. Bill have a sense of humor, but he was one of the most brilliant doctors on staff. Thankfully, she was absolutely right.

Now, it doesn't really matter how brilliant a doctor is, it matters whether or not s/he can treat me. Dr. M asked to see my infection, and as I turned my leg towards him, he said (and I quote), "What the HELL is that?!" Ahhhhh, so very, very comforting. I calmly replied, "It's poison oak", to which he said, "maybe it WAS poison oak, but it's not anymore." He went on to describe that the swelling in my ankle was actually the infection EATING AT MY MUSCLES and if I had waited two or three more days, I would have inevitably been taken to the emergency room and they probably would have had to amputate my leg. Yes- cut off, end the life of, my left leg.

I got a 1 gram shot of powerful antibiotics (by the way, 1 gram is a LOT 'o shot). I'm on a regiment of 600mg of Ibuprofen, three times a day, 1-2 Vicodin every 4-6 hours (until the stabbing pain subsides), and Amoxicillan two times a day, morning and night, with food.

After the first day of treatment, the infection has stabilized and remains a painful irritation, but thankfully it is no longer conquering my lower body with such speed. I had another appointment today at 1:00 and I have another tomorrow at 10:30. Basically, I have to see the doctor every day until he feels the infection is under control.

Wish me good health, everyone. I really need it right now :(

5 Comments:

  • Holy Crap Patrick, I'm so glad you're not going to loose your leg. That is fucking insane. Are you mobile? Fever?

    By Blogger Sara, At 3:08 PM  

  • Mobile, yes. Fever, no. Pain and frustration, absolutely. But Jesus says I'll be okay, so I'm not that worried. Jesus knows lots of stuff.

    By Blogger Infused Confusion, At 7:19 PM  

  • If you do ever need that leg amputated, we got a nice chop saw and saudering irons here at work, those along with a steady hand should fix you up in a jif. Just remember, we don't exactly guarantee our work, so you'd probably have to sign a waiver.

    By Blogger cmo, At 8:19 AM  

  • Holy fuck. That's... wow. I didn't know poison oak could do that. I've always thought I was immune to it too because I grew up around a ton of it and I've never had it. Totally scary. I'm very happy you got treatment in time to keep your leg.

    By Blogger Copy Editor, At 9:22 AM  

  • You want a leg? I can get you a leg. I can get you a leg by this afternoon...with feet!

    By Blogger Sara, At 10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home