Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Monday, January 26, 2009

What $27.20 in Can/Bottle Returns Looks Like

It was a very productive weekend on Ventura Avenue. Robin and I spent a considerable amount of time prepping, painting, cleaning and shopping. Our master bath is now fully cleaned, caulked and painted, the hallway is sparkling white and amongst other various cleaning projects, I returned $27.20 worth of cans and bottles to Safeway. Just how many items is that, you ask? Allow me to show you:


Junk in the Trunk (four rows, two or three six packs high)












Backseat Barrage





















Full-Frontal Front

















Basking in a profound sense of home improvement accomplishery, I wanted to decompress with a Pinot Noir. With my $27, I went to Safeway where they had a terrific wine sale. I saw a row of Benton Lane '07s on sale for $18 (from $28). I didn't want to pay that much for an '07 necessarily, so I wondered if there were any '06s hiding in the back. The Holy Unicorn must have heard my plea because three bottles back sat a sparkling, velvety, luscious Benton Lane '06 Pinot Noir.

I returned home, decanted the wine and waited for Robin to finish the final coat of paint in our bathroom. We ended the night laughing at the Fox Sunday lineup, sipping a very fine Pinot and enjoying the visible reward of hard work.

6 Comments:

  • Sounds like an incredibly perfect day (sigh of contentment).

    By Blogger Angelene, At 2:39 PM  

  • You do realize that the photos of the empties makes you guys look like alcoholics.

    And the tale of you digging through the shelves at safeway, tossing unwanted 07s over your shoulder, makes you sound like a crazy alcoholic.

    By Blogger bilsabab, At 2:58 PM  

  • Would it help if I said that the empties occurred over the course of 9 months? How about 6? 3? OK look, it was one party but there were like TONS of people there.

    I will be the first to own up to my crazy alcoholism, with one qualification. I'm only crazy like that for certain TYPES of alcohol. It's only like that for beer, wine, vodka, rum, bourbon, tequila, whiskey, scotch, champagne, sparkling wine, gin, and cognac.

    See? I don't like Ouzo, Night Train and Absynthe. So it all evens out.

    By Blogger Infused Confusion, At 3:20 PM  

  • Wow, it takes a lot of alcohol to get you to paint the hallway. I know you want me to believe that accumulated over time, but *I* know that the time was actually 48 hours.

    By the way, can I hire you to paint my bathroom? No? Can I hire you for anything else? Yeah, that's what I thought.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 3:53 PM  

  • I take credit for between 6 and 48 of those bottles. But that's it.

    By Blogger Sara, At 6:37 PM  

  • Who am I kidding - I can really only take credit for the cans. Sigh.

    By Blogger Sara, At 6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home