Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Things, The Copout Post

Fall is falling in the Northwest. We have been very fortunate this year, as summer gave way to crisp, sunny days full of deep reds, yellows, greens and umber(s?). I love this time of year in Oregon, provided it doesn't rain, stays above 35 degrees, is sunny, the leaves turn slowly and fall gradually, and I get free stuff. People call me picky and I still have no idea why.

Here's a picture of a baby hedgehog!


















My sister's wedding is on Saturday. For some reason, I haven't allowed myself to soak in the reality that is my little sister getting married. It's not as if I didn't expect this day to come or that I'm not extremely happy for her. She and her fiancé are both talented, bright, wonderful individuals for whom I have a great deal of pride and respect. They have had several events leading up to their wedding (couples shower, co-bachelor/ette party, etc.), I'm a groomsman, I'm picking up my tux today and will have rehearsal tomorrow. Yet still, I can tell that my emotions are waiting until my sister turns the corner, is wearing what I know will be a gorgeous dress, is radiating intense beauty and love and I, like the sap that I truly am, lose it in front of everyone. I'm taking tomorrow off in order to help The Mommy with preparations. She is currently at DEFCON 5 and will undoubtedly make it (somehow) to DEFCON 7 by Saturday.

After Bonnie and Bryan's wedding, Robin and I are high-tailin' it up to McMinville where one of our very best friends Angelene and her fiancé Bruce are also getting married that evening. We'll only be there for the reception/party, but we have our hotel booked and are very much looking forward to a racuous good time with all our friends. It's funny how wedding weekends seem to get booked doubly for us. Sami and Tim got married on the same day as Clint and Missy. My sister's and Angelene's weddings are the same day. What next, universe? April and Steve get non-married the same day Robin and I get gay married? I should hope not, seeing as we are people who would never seek to one-up the other by planning such a special event on the same day. But if they try, April and Steve are in for a rude awakening. I'll get gay married at 12:00am in order to best them. Yeah, I said it!

Work has been unusually soul crushing of late. We're hiring for two positions and have a flurry of applicants in various states of hire. Early this week we had the in-person interviews for one of our positions. The other position is in the process of getting phone interviews scheduled. Added to this are the new applicants for the Law school in general, who get a personal guided tour of our library during their visit. I have to complete all my regular work while making small talk with people I don't know and who may not even be hired. But when I need a break, I shut my office door and gaze out my floor-to-ceiling windows upon the brightly lit Hendrick's Park hill in all its fall splendor. SIGH. (Life is going to repay such flagrancy with an office in the basement with four foot ceilings at my next place of work. I just know it.)

Our dear friend and his roommate had a housewarming party last weekend. I celebrated by taking a burning log out of the fire and setting it on the couch to see what would happen. When all it did was melt the polyester material and create an unbearable odor, I grated my teeth in frustration. I grabbed another flaming log to set on the couch, but first I doused the couch in lighter fluid and ammonia. The results were much more entertaining. The hazmat teams had to fumigate the surrounding five blocks!

And now, a deep thought for the day:
If a kid ever asks how Santa Claus lives forever, I think a good answer is that he drinks blood.

2 Comments:

  • Never fear. Steve and I are not getting married, due to the fact that marriage makes me disintigrate from the inside out and then explode in a ball of flame. HOWEVER, if Steve and I ever comingle our DVDs (an event I will ask you to officiate), we're having a reception afterwards. But I'd never do that on the same day you get gay married. Even I have some sense of decorum.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:54 AM  

  • If you get gay married, I totally promise not to do anything that would compete with it as long as I can come.

    By Blogger Copy Editor, At 7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home