Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Friday, August 24, 2007

New Beginnings

I accepted and began my new position as the Administrative Assistant for the Law Library. Located in the fancy new Knight Law Center, the Law Library is located on the south end of the second floor. I interviewed for the position in early August. I can honestly say that it was my best interview ever. It was a two hour ordeal, the first hour being a panel of three people (the Director, her assistant and the Acquisitions person), the second hour being ten people (the rest of the staff). Each interview felt more like a conversation rather than a job interview. Towards the end of each hour, we were simply chatting about office stuff. I always kept it professional and cleverly found ways of tying what we were talking about to pertinent experience. My effort must have paid off, because when Mary Ann (the Director and my new boss) called, she said that her staff's official recommendation had a sticky note attached which read, "You'd be crazy not to hire him".

Also during my interview, I caught a glimpse of the office occupied by my predecessor. It overlooked the garden and was flanked by two beautiful trees. My first official day was yesterday and I breezed past that office only to find that someone else had moved in. At first, I was a little disappointed. That is, until I saw my office. It is a couple of doors down and was originally intended for the Director herself. It's absolutely humongous, has floor-to-ceiling windows, overlooks the garden, has maple cabinetry and is, in a word, stunning. I beamed with joy.

My boss proceeded to re-introduce me to the library staff and then took me on a brief tour of the school. Absolutely everyone I met was warm and inviting. They were authentically pleased to meet me, welcome me into their family, and ensured me that if I needed anything related to their field to give them a holler. I have to admit that I was surprised that in a law school, everyone was so incredibly nice. Prejudice be damned!

I meandered over to the main library complex to sign my paperwork. Mary Ann walked me there and we discussed lots of things, from my position to the school to Eugene in general. She is a wonderful, bright, caring, funny individual. To be sure, she gave me the best first impression any boss has ever given me. Because of my experience, she didn't want to start me off at the base salary for my position. She had told me as much but we never settled on a salary until I reached HR. There, I found out that her negotiations were successful and I did indeed receive a nice raise.

I was so happy leaving work yesterday. I dove right into my work and before I knew it, the day was over. I excitedly told Robin all about it, after showing him my office of course. He sighed and said, "I wish my corporate culture was like that. I'm so happy for you, but I'm envious". Then it hit me - I am fortunate. I'm incredibly fortunate to now be working where I am. A place where they actually appreciate their administrative assistants and pay them? Crazy.

Early this morning I checked my email. I had a personal message from the Dean of the Law School, welcoming me to the family and relaying that she had already heard good things and was looking forward to meeting me. I'm now sitting here towards the end of my day, looking out my window-wall and smiling. For a year that has been so rigorous, so demanding, this sure is a great way to start the next step in my career.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home