Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Christmas

I can't believe people. Correction - I can't believe all these religious nuts out there screaming "IT'S CHRISTMAS, ASSHOLES!" when a store wants to appeal to a broader base of customers by putting up signs that read, "Happy Holidays". In a small effort to show how twisted and bastardized the Christmas holiday actually is, here's a little history lesson for y'all:

(This is only one section of many more articles of the Christmas holiday. Please refer to this website for all the rest)

An Ancient Holiday
"The middle of winter has long been a time of celebration around the world. Centuries before the arrival of the man called Jesus, early Europeans celebrated light and birth in the darkest days of winter. Many peoples rejoiced during the winter solstice, when the worst of the winter was behind them and they could look forward to longer days and extended hours of sunlight.

In Scandinavia, the Norse celebrated Yule from December 21, the winter solstice, through January. In recognition of the return of the sun, fathers and sons would bring home large logs, which they would set on fire. The people would feast until the log burned out, which could take as many as 12 days. The Norse believed that each spark from the fire represented a new pig or calf that would be born during the coming year.

The end of December was a perfect time for celebration in most areas of Europe. At that time of year, most cattle were slaughtered so they would not have to be fed during the winter. For many, it was the only time of year when they had a supply of fresh meat. In addition, most wine and beer made during the year was finally fermented and ready for drinking.

In Germany, people honored the pagan god Oden during the mid-winter holiday. Germans were terrified of Oden, as they believed he made nocturnal flights through the sky to observe his people, and then decide who would prosper or perish. Because of his presence, many people chose to stay inside."

Oh, and here's a fact that I learned while attending my fag-loving, hippy liberal school: The date December 25th was the day Romans celebrated their god, Saturn. The day itself was called Saturnalia and was marked by wicked drunken parties and gift giving. Christianity, as usual, needed to convert everything in their path and since this day was a superfun party-day already, they literally took it over and said, "oh, yeah, um... JESUS was born on this day too! Hey, in fact, Saturnailia is totally LAME compared to Jesus! Who did Saturn ever die for...?" Ahh, the beginnigs of Christian idiocy...

So, Christians and others who claim holiday superiority over all that is November twenty-something until December 26th, why don't you pay heed to your own history??

How can you possibly be offended that companies and organizations don't wish to vault your tradition over everyone else's when your holiday isn't your own?

Oh, and please don't give me the "who cares when we celebrate it as long as we do" crap because EXACTLY - WHO CARES?! I certainly don't... celebrate it whenever you want to but do not think for one minute that it takes "precedence" over Chaukah, Kwaanza or winter solstice.

When you lay your head to rest tonight, just remember that if it weren't for pagan rites, winter solstice and worshipping of other dieties, THERE WOULD BE NO CHRISTMAS.

(ahhh, haven't had a good rant in a while...)

5 Comments:

  • WORD.

    Yesterday I overheard some old people discussing how "all the athiests and yes I know athiests are only a small percentage of the population but anyone who doesn't believe EXACTLY like me must be an athiest are runing everything by taking Christmas away. Let me keep my beliefs, yadda yadda yadda I'm a brainwashed conservative. Please feel sorry for me. It's so difficult to be a poor, poor persecuted White Christian American Male." (Italics are my interpretation of the conversation, not what he really said, of course.)


    Here's my thing. I say Merry Christmas to people I know celebrate Christmas, I say Happy Hannukuh to my jewish friends and sometimes I wish people a happy Festivus. I used to say "Happy hollidays" until people started making a big fucking stink about it. One of my coworkers told me that the other day she told someone "Happy Christmas" and was reamed out because she used the word "happy" instead of "merry." I've stopped wishing people a happy anything just to rebel.

    In addition to all the things Patrick just said, what I don't get is why recognizing the existence of other holidays/religions/traditions automatically means you're disrespecting Christmas. I grew up celebrating Christian and Jewish holidays and I appreciate when people aknowledge Hannukah.

    I think the assholes in government and conservative media *coughcoughBillO'Reillycoughcough* feel left out because life as a white American male is just so good that it's not fair they aren't persecuted. So they make up bullshit about "The War on Christmas" (an actual book I had to order for someone at my bookstore)just so that they can convince other white Americans that they too, are persecuted.

    Word Verification: "Jiwaw" A noise one makes upon pretending to practice martial arts.

    By Blogger Copy Editor, At 11:21 AM  

  • Makes those "Jesus is the reason for the season" signs seem even more hoakey.

    By Blogger Sara, At 9:33 AM  

  • All I have to say is that tolerance and acceptance extends to the majority as well.

    By Blogger cmo, At 10:29 AM  

  • Tolerating and accepting the majority does not create change. Especially when the majority is ignorant to the complexities of its own beliefs and traditions.

    Word Verification: Waytiffa. Princess Waytiffa is Queen Latifa's less famous younger sister.

    By Blogger Sara, At 4:35 PM  

  • Tolerance is one thing, being told that your holiday is subservient to Christmas is quite another; this is precisely what I am addressing here. Perhaps the majority celebrates Christmas, but majority rule does not extend to beliefs. I don't give a crap who you are - telling others that you are insulting their celebration by being accepting of others does NOT support your OWN beliefs (ahem, loudmouthed Christian right...)

    By Blogger Infused Confusion, At 9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home