Me & The Horse I Rode In On

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Sight

Sonnet XXIII, John Milton

Methought I Saw . . .

Methought I saw my late espoused Saint
Brought to me like Alcestis from the grave,
Whom Jove's great Son to her glad Husband gave,
Rescu'd from death by force though pale and faint.
Mine as whom washt from spot of child-bed taint,
Purification in the old Law did save,
And such, as yet once more I trust to have
Full sight of her in Heaven without restraint,
Came vested all in white, pure as her mind:
Her face was veil'd, yet to my fancied sight,
Love, sweetness, goodness, in her person shin'd
So clear, as in no face with more delight.
But O, as to embrace me she inclin'd,
I wak'd, she fled, and day brought back my night.

6 Comments:

  • I received this poem from my GTF for Ancient Greek philosophy class. She gave it to me because I'm studying the treatment of sight and sound in the image of Plato's cave and Parmenides' poem. This poem gripped me tightly and I wanted to share it with y'all.

    By Blogger Infused Confusion, At 3:32 PM  

  • Here's another poem for you:

    There once was a man from Nantucket,
    *Censored*

    :)

    By Blogger Ben A. Johnson, At 12:33 PM  

  • Here's my favorite:

    Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    Some poems rhyme
    But this one doesn't

    By Blogger Infused Confusion, At 2:45 PM  

  • My favorite is Shell Silverstein's poem, "Smart." *clears throat*

    My Dad gave me one dollar bill, cause I'm his smartest son.

    I traded it for two quarters 'cause two is more than one!

    And then I took the quarters and traded them to Lou, for three dimes, I guess he don't know that three is more than two!

    And then along came old blind Bates and just cause he can't see, he gave me four nickles for my three dimes, and four is more than three!

    I took the nickles to Hiram Coombs, down at the seed-feed store, and the fool gave me five pennies for them, and five is more than four!

    Then I went and showed my dad and he got red in the cheeks. And closed his eyes and shook his head, too proud of me to speak!

    By Blogger Copy Editor, At 3:53 PM  

  • And that boy's name was George W. Bush.

    By Blogger Infused Confusion, At 4:07 PM  

  • Poem for Patrick:

    Methough I saw your mom eating chicken
    When, last night, past KFC I passed.
    She thought the bird was good for finger lickin.'
    That night she lied awake with chicken gas.


    Sorry, too lazy to write a whole sonnet.

    By Blogger Sara, At 12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home